Monday, February 8, 2010

.......

There is something to be said about becoming an adult. Not the part of paying bills, getting married, and having a family of your own but the true measure of becoming an adult and knowing yourself and liking yourself with out judgement. Ok....maybe not without total judgement because lets face it, we are our worst critics. I was watching Oprah the other day and the wonderful new actress who plays in the movie Precious said something that really stuck with me, "I am the person that I wake up with every morning, so what do I care what and how others think of me." We are all told at young ages to not care what others think but in most cases that mentality doesn't usually sink in until we are older. I thought that it was aweome that a young lady was so secure and felt and knew that.

Why do I feel compelled to write this?? I don't know, it is just something that I have been really feeling lately. I have always wanted to wear the clothes that were in fashion and have the house that is up-to-date and according to a certain style and I find myself not really caring about that lately. I have found a sort of peace with myself, about myself. I don't know if this has come with the wonderful 30's or if it is because of my wonderful little family, but there is such a calming feeling not caring what anyone thinks except for me. I like the clothes that I like because they make me feel like me, I like certain elements to my house because it reflects myself and my family, and I want to loose weight because I feel healthier not because I want to look like how society believes the "perfect woman" should look. I just wish that there was a way to have girls feel a sense of security at an early age and maybe the rates of teen pregnancy, teen addiction, and teen suicide wouldn't be as prevalent as it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment